Monday, 15 May 2006

Wave - EighT


A beautiful day out here. 26 degrees (centigrade) so it's like summer.
Lotte wearing her dress, looking cute, playing in the garde.







She was sitting on the slide, me taking pictures, and I say to her, without sign, "Hi Lotte, Wave" and guess what... she waved..


These are the "tests" we sometimes do just to see how much she understands. I wasn't sure if she would, because I was 5m (15ft) away, with the sun in my back. But she understood.




Eight
Another example from a couple of days ago.
She sat in the car with my wife, straight behind her chair. Lotte was going through the numbers, one to nine. At eight she said "eigh", and my wife (in the car, motor on, no visual clues) said eigh-T pronouncing the T at the end. Lotte repeated that straight after it...

So great to get these beautiful moments.

2 comments:

Cloggy said...

Neecy. Wanted to ask you,

You said you heared a woosh when the CI falls off.
How is that with other things..

Like: Do you get interference from mobile phones like when one is lying next to the computer, the computer will pick it up.

Also, putting it on in the morning. Do you start at a lower level and then turn the "volume" up.
Lotte has no problem starting off at the level she uses during the day. Just wonder how that is for her. I read that for some people the first sound in the morning is sharp, might hurt.

Just want to get a view in her experience, even though I know it is defferent for each person.

Neecy said...

Quote: Originally Posted by Cloggy
Neecy. Wanted to ask you,

You said you heared a woosh when the CI falls off.
How is that with other things..

Its more like a whine - its the complete *absence* of sound -like severe tinitus that lasts about 30 seconds. I think its the auditory nerve getting used to going from a state of high stimulation to nothing.


Quote: Like: Do you get interference from mobile phones like when one is lying next to the computer, the computer will pick it up.

nope no interference whatsoever


Quote: Also, putting it on in the morning. Do you start at a lower level and then turn the "volume" up. Lotte has no problem starting off at the level she uses during the day. Just wonder how that is for her. I read that for some people the first sound in the morning is sharp, might hurt.

Nope I turn it on at the normal level (I keep it at around 11). It takes me a minute or two to adjust (again - the auditory nerve going from nothing to full stimulation takes a moment to adapt). But everybody is different - there might be some who are sensitive to sound initially and have to start with it at a quieter setting. I've had no problems.


Quote: Just want to get a view in her experience, even though I know it is defferent for each person.

I'm glad! I love hearing about her experiences as well! I'm always willing to answer questions - that goes for you or anybody else here

(Some) Milestones

  • 2013-08: Grade 6
  • 2012-08: Grade 5
  • 2011-08: Grade 4
  • 2011-03: BTE's on the ear
  • 2010-08: Grade 3
  • 2009-08: Grade 2
  • 2008-08: Mainstream School (6y. old)
  • 2006-10: All-hearing Kindergarten (4y. old)
  • 2004-11-22: CI activated (27 m. old)
  • 2004-10-04: Bi-lateral CI (26 m. old)
  • 2003-08: Deaf/HOH/CI Pre-school/"DEAF" Kindergarten (12m. old)
  • 2003-07: HA's fitted (11 m. old)
  • 2003-06: Diagnosed deaf. Start sign-language (10m. old)
  • 2002-11: Suspicion loss of hearing (4 m. old)
  • 2002-08: Born - A fierce LION
--- Google Analytics